Visit the Spud Shed
Don’t forget to pop along to our spud shed in Fornham to buy your supplies of delicious locally grown potatoes, onions and eggs. Our Estima potatoes are a wonderful all-rounder, they are great for wedges and jacket potatoes and good for boiling and mashing. Here's a recipe you might like:
A Swiss favourite! A potato dish made from fried, grated potato. Highly recommended as an accompaniment to meat dishes or fried fish.
Ingredients 250 grams (approx) Floury potatoes (eg Estima, Wilja, Desiree, King Edward, Maris Piper ) 25 grams of melted Unsalted Butter 10grams of unmelted Unsalted Butter 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1) Peel and grate the potatoes.
2) Put the grated potato onto clean tea towel and squeeze as much liquid out of the potato as possible.
3) Put the potato into a bowl and add the melted butter and seasoning of salt and pepper. Mix well ensuring the potato is coated in the butter.
4) Using a non-stick frying pan heat the oil and the 10 g of unmelted butter.
5) Tip the grated potato mixture into the hot pan. Spread it out so as it fills the pan and press it down with the back of a spoon to compact it. At the same time use the spoon to keep the edges in a smooth, neat circle.
6) Cook over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until it is a golden brown colour underneath. (When the edges of the rösti turn brown gently lift the rösti slightly to check the colour).
7) Loosen the rösti by using a spatula then turn it over by sliding the rösti onto a plate, place another plate on top of the rösti and turn it over. Slide the rösti back into the pan.
8) Cook for 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
9) Slide the rösti onto a chopping board and either cut into slices or using a pastry cutter, into circles and serve.